This is a simple, low carb recipe for cauliflower mash, made with milk kefir to give it a slightly tangy flavor and a probiotic boost.
Cauliflower Mash with Kefir
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 head cauliflower, about 1 lb./450g
- 4-6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp/30 ml pastured butter
- ¼ cup/60ml milk kefir
- salt and pepper
- 1 chive or scallion
- Cut cauliflower into similar size florets. Slice the stem into ¼" thick pieces so they will cook evenly.
- Roughly chop the garlic.
- Place cauliflower and garlic into a steamer basket and steam for 15 minutes, until you can easily pierce the thickest pieces with a fork.
- Remove from heat and let cool briefly.
- Add to a bowl along with butter. Mash or blend with an immersion blender.
- Add kefir, salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop chive or scallion and sprinkle over top.