This is a simple, low carb recipe for cauliflower mash, made with milk kefir to give it a slightly tangy flavor and a probiotic boost.
Cauliflower Mash with Kefir
- 1 lb. (500g) cauliflower, about 1 head
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) pastured butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk kefir
- 1 chive or scallion
- salt and pepper
- Cut cauliflower into equally size florets. Slice the stem into 1/4" thick pieces so they will cook evenly.
- Roughly chop the garlic.
- Place cauliflower and garlic into a steamer basket and steam for 15 minutes, until you can easily pierce the thickest pieces with a fork.
- Remove from heat and let cool briefly.
- Add to a bowl along with butter. Mash or blend with an immersion blender.
- Add kefir, salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop chive or scallion and sprinkle over top. Serve warm, reheat gently if necessary.