I was determined to make tempeh taste like SOMETHING?!! Buffalo-style, battered in egg & sprouted flour, fried in coconut oil, and finished with pastured butter and hot sauce. It worked!
- 8 oz 225g fresh tempeh, any variety
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour, any variety
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) pastured unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon (3 ml) sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil on medium heat (to 350°F/177°C) in a small saucepan.
- Slice the tempeh into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick slices.
- Beat egg in a small bowl.
- Pour flour onto a small (salad) plate. Mix in salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt butter in a small bowl. Stir in hot sauce.
- When oil is hot, dip tempeh slice into egg, coating all sides. let excess drip off, then dredge all sides with the flour, and add to hot oil. Repeat until pan is full.
- You may need to turn the heat up to offset the cooling that occurred when you added the slices. Keep an eye on it and adjust heat as needed.
- Cook 3 to 5 minutes on each side (until golden brown). Flip and cook another 3 minutes.
- When both sides are golden brown, remove from oil and let excess oil drip for a moment.
- Move slices to hot sauce bowl, coating all sides.
- Repeat with additional batches.
- Serve immediately.