Last Updated on
Here’s a quick recipe for spicy and sweet candied nuts. A holiday (or any time of year) treat, and makes a great gift!
Start with our soaked-brined nuts technique/recipe.
For a vegan variation, you could use coconut yogurt instead of egg whites. We have found if using coconut cream/milk, that it turns out gooier and stickier (think “Cracker Jack”),versus a drier coated texture with egg whites.
- 1 lb. (450g) soaked nuts
- 1 egg white or 2 Tbsp. coconut cream or coconut milk (for vegan)
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) water
- ¼ cup /60g by weight brown sugar
- ½ cup (235ml) /100g by weight raw white sugar
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 5 tsp. (25ml) red pepper powder
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Mix egg white or coconut milk/cream and water. Stir together. If using egg white, whip until thick foam develops. If using coconut cream, simply mix together (mixture will not foam).
- Add nuts and coat with mixture.
- Combine sugars, salt, cinnamon and red pepper powder in a separate bowl and stir to remove lumps and ensure a consistent mixture.
- Add dry mixture to the nuts and coat thoroughly.
- Layer nuts on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Let cool, then break up into bite sized pieces.
- Store in airtight jars.
*Adapted from a smitten kitchen recipe.