Cannabis-infused syrup can be used as a sweetener for cocktails, a way to relax with a cup of hot tea, or really any recipe calling for sugar, including feeding a SCOBY for a batch of cannabis kombucha (recipe coming soon!)
♪ Just a spoonful of medicine helps the sugar go down! (wait, is that how it goes?) ♫
This recipe makes enough syrup to sweeten 3 gallons of kombucha at a standard potency of 10mg THC per 8 oz. cup. You can customize the potency of the syrup by using the calculator below.
To maximize the effects, decarboxylate the plant matter first (by low roasting) before making edibles with it. This converts THC-A into THC (psychoactive) and increases the overall effect significantly. Decarboxylation is not necessary if you are beginning with oil or concentrate.
- Recipe prepares ~10mg THC per 8 fl oz./250ml of finished kombucha
- It is believed that extraction efficiency (the rate at which cannabinoids and terpenoids are retained) is 50% for fat-based infusions. In other words, we assume THC levels drop from plant form to syrup by 50% during the infusion process. Calculations include this assumption.
- The more you know about the potency of the plant matter you’re starting with, the more accurate the dosage information becomes.
One teaspoon of syrup contains about 3 mg of THC. Of course, many variables involved can affect the final dosage.
- 600g (3 cups by volume) raw organic sugar
- 700ml (3 cups by vol) filtered water
- 45ml (3 Tbsp.) vegetable glycerin (we like this brand)
- 32g (about 1 oz wt.) cannabis trim (assumes 3% THC potency, for 10mg THC per 8 oz. of finished kombucha-- see calculator below to modify potency)
- Preheat oven to 225F.
- Spread cannabis on an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Break into small nuggets or roughly chop.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool.
- Boil water in a saucepot. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add decarboxylated cannabis to the pot and stir gently.
- Cover and reduce heat. Let simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable glycerin. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let mixture cool.
- Strain through cheesecloth into a heat proof mixing bowl. Let syrup cool down and drain from solids, about 30 minutes.
- Squeeze cheesecloth into a ball to extract last drops of syrup.
- Store syrup in a tightly sealed glass container in the refrigerator OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. Lasts up to 3 months.
- One-third (about 350g or 1⅓ cup/320ml by vol) of the syrup batch contains 200g of sugar, the amount of sweetener used to make 1 gallon of kombucha. You can adjust the strength of the finished kombucha by using part syrup, part sugar. Canna-Kombucha recipe coming soon!
- Cooking with Cannabis: Delicious Recipes for Edibles and Everyday Favorites. Wolf, Laurie.
How to Calculate Edible Potency, keytocannabis.com. Accessed Mar. 12, 2018.
How to calculate THC dosage in recipes for marijuana edibles, thecannabist.co. Accessed Mar. 12, 2018.
- Dosing Homemade Cannabis, Cooking with Cannabis, Part 4. Leafly.com