Last Updated on
Four recipes in one!
Ever looking for ways to 1) satisfy my sweet tooth while paying attention to what I eat and their ingredients, I am slowly entering the world of baking. These sprouted muffins/bread are a good start, as it employs the “muffin method” where all ingredients are added to a single bowl. Depending on what I have on hand, I make them with homemade pumpkin puree (winter or spring) or with very ripe bananas.
- ¾ cup/180ml honey (250g by weight)
- 2 chicken eggs
- 1⅔ cup (400ml), 250g by weight sprouted flour (whole wheat or spelt)
- ½ cup (120ml) coconut oil (105g by weight)
- 3 very ripe bananas (you can use frozen & re-thawed brown bananas) OR 1 cup (250ml) pumpkin puree
- ½ cup (120ml) crushed walnuts (preferably soaked) and/or pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and/or pomegranate seeds
- OPTIONAL ¼ cup (60ml) raw cacao nibs
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground clove
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Melt coconut oil over low heat.
- Combine all other ingredients except pomegranate seeds into a mixing bowl. Bonus points for grating spices (cloves, nutmeg) fresh.
- When coconut oil has cooled (to 110F or lower), add to bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- If using, gently stir in pomegranate seeds so as not to break them.
- Lightly grease (using butter or coconut oil) muffin tin or 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Evenly distribute batter into muffin cups (optionally place paper cupcake liners first) or pour into loaf pan.
- Place into oven.
- Muffins should take about 30 minutes; bread should take about 60. Start checking in on bread starting at 45 minutes.
- Use the 'toothpick test' by sticking a clean toothpick into the center of the loaf or largest muffin. If it comes out clean (no crumbs), then it's done. If not, let it bake a few more minutes and check again.
- Remove from oven, let cool and then remove from pan.
- Serve warm with butter, or a savory jam!
- Store at room temperature in a cool, dry place. Slice and freeze any bread or muffins that you won't consume within 3-4 days (otherwise they can get moldy!)
Inspired by this Kitchen Stewardship recipe for Pumpkin muffins