Ever wanted to learn to ferment ALL the things? Here is your chance.
For the first time, Austin Durant, founder and Chief Fermentation Officer of Fermenters Club will share his ten years of fermentation experience with you. He will take you in-depth on fermentation— what it is, how it benefits us, and how to ferment most major styles of foods.
This is a hands-on, immersive experience. You will come away from the experience knowing about most major categories of food fermentation, from vegetables, to legumes (beans), to dairy and other non-alcoholic beverages. Most of the workshop will take place at Austin’s urban homestead in San Diego, complete with gardens and dedicated Fermentarium.
San Diego has a mild, Mediterranean climate, and an all-year growing season.
Along the way, we will take several field trips to explore the food-centric San Diego and Baja California (México) area. We will connect to the earth that sustains us, savor some of the local culture and learn and understand how some local businesses are utilizing fermentation!
Winter 2020 Gallery
Fermented foods you will learn about
- Sauerkraut, Pickles & Other Vegetables
- Koji & Miso (dashi, soup)
- Legumes (brining, hummus)
- Kombucha & Jun, kvass & other beverages
- Condiments (ketchup, mustard, chutneys, hot sauces)
- Kefir/Dairy, coco yogurts
- Fresh-style cheeses
- Sourdough bread
- Held in and around San Diego, California
- Class size: Limited to 8 students; you must apply and be accepted.
- Book your own accommodations (or let us give you some tips on local Airbnb’s)
- Price: $995 per person
- Fee covers class materials and class-led field trips and meals.
- Coffee and lunch will be provided.
- Does not cover the cost of transportation, lodging or most meals.
- See Deposit and Refund Policy
- Day 1 (Tuesday): AM/PM; Study with Austin; begin hands-on ferments
- Day 2 (Wednesday): AM: Study; PM: Field trip& volunteer at a regenerative farm; taco tour in Tijuana!
- Day 3 (Thursday): AM/PM; Study with Austin; begin hands-on ferments; field trip to local farmers market to select ingredients for fermentation
- Day 4 (Friday): AM/PM; Study with Austin; begin hands-on ferments; PM: Special chakra & cacao ceremony with local chocolatier
- Day 5 (Saturday): AM: Wind up at noon; say goodbye
About the Instructor
Austin Durant has been fermenting food for ten years. In 2011, he studied at Sandor Katz’ Fermentation Residency Program in middle Tennessee, where he learned how to make over a dozen fermented foods. That same year, he founded Fermenters Club with a mission: To improve people’s lives by teaching them why and how to make and enjoy fermented foods; and to create communities that are connected through their guts. He writes recipes and shares his fermentation adventures through stories and videos on his blog (fermentersclub.com).
Austin has taught over 100 hands-on workshops across the United States on numerous fermented food traditions such as sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi, kombucha, miso, as well as seasonal specialties.
Austin has lived in San Diego for 18 years and knows the ins and outs of the food scene there. He will use his (sometimes secret) knowledge to curate a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Retreat attendees!
He curates bi-monthly community meetings, where newbies and fermenting pros alike meet and geek out about fermented foods. He produces annual day-long fermentation festivals in San Diego and Portland, Oregon.
- San Diego International Airport is less than 20 minutes away by car. Ridesharing services are plentiful and cost about $15 each way.
- Tijuana International Airport is located just across the Mexican border. The retreat is about a 20 minute drive once you cross the border. *Note that border crossing times can be very long depending on the day and time you arrive.
- John Wayne International Airport (Orange County) is about 1.5 hours by car (depending on traffic).
- Los Angeles International Airport is 2 to 3 hours away (depending on traffic).
Hotels and Short term rentals in the neighborhood are plentiful. We have a few friends with rentals in the neighborhood, so if you book early, we can connect you with them to reserve your spot.